Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dotngoaingu - 12:29 am-08-02-1111 - Questions:

Dotngoaingu (12:05 am 08-02-1111)

Dotngoaingu Q: Dear forest, i have a phrase "make you weep with joy", if i change this phrase by "make you weep for joy", is it ok? Let me know your idea about this. (In my opinion, it's ok.). Thanks in advance.

Vickybui : I have no idea:D

DIY : mi tu

Blue Kat : it's a fixed idiom, you cant change it

Whackamolee : Weeping with joy suggests an extreme emotion of joy that bring out tears. Weeping for means crying for a purpose, for a reason. Example, I weep for the past. Therefore, it makes little sense, and the two phrases dónt have the same meaning. See D.H.Lawrence poem below

Whackamolee : Softly, in the dusk, a woman is singing to me; Taking me back down the vista of years, till I see A child sitting under the piano, in the boom of the tingling strings And pressing the small, poised feet of a mother who smiles as she sings.

Whackamolee : So now it is vain for the singer to burst into clamour With the great black piano appassionato. The glamour Of childish days is upon me, my manhood is cast Down in the flood of remembrance, I '''weep''' like a child '''for the past.'''

Whackamolee : It doesn't mean it is incorrect. It just means that the two are not the same, and just means that if you use "for", make sure it is what you intend. To make "weep for joy" meaningful requires hard work in communicating your idea(s)

Dawnd : Laugh and the world laugh with you/ weep and you weep alone/ For the sad old earth must borrow it myth but has trouble enough of its own ^^

Dotngoaingu : @Whakamolee: About your two answers "Weeping with joy suggests an extreme emotion of joy that bring out tears" and "crying for a reason" have the same meaning, don't you think so, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment